“ Good evening! What kind of work experience did either of you have post graduation, pre-Pernod wine ambassador program? ”

Michael B. asked a question
during the live chat Fancy a career in the Wine industry? Find out more about our graduate opportunities with Pernod Ricard Winemakers.
to Pernod Ricard Recruitment Team

28/11/2017
10 Live chat
28/11/2017
Wine Brand Ambassador - Dallas - USA, Pernod Ricard

Hi Michael! Thanks for joining us. I earned my Bachelor of Arts degree from Linfield College in Oregon in International Business in 2013. I worked for an Oregon winery for two years following graduation in the direct to consumer sales and marketing departments. In January 2015, I moved to Australia where I earned my Masters in Business Wine (like a MBA but for the wine industry) and worked in the Australian wine industry. Prior to joining Pernod Ricard, I worked briefly in Hong Kong for a wine business and along they way have earned my WSET 3 certificate. I started with Pernod Ricard in October 2016, and I've had a great experience!

28/11/2017
Graduate Wine Ambassador, Los Angeles, USA, Pernod Ricard Winemakers

Hi Michael! My experience was quite different than Emily's and I want to point out that most of the graduate wine ambassadors have had extremely different paths that brought them to the program! After graduating with a Government degree in 2013, I wrote for the Huffington Post in NYC. During this time, I found an outlet for my wine passion by volunteering at Astor Center, a wine and spirits education center in Manhattan. I then got a job as an assistant editor at Wine Spectator Magazine, where I wrote for about 2 years before taking this role.

28/11/2017
Michael B.

Thank you both for the excellent responses! To clarify, you do not need a graduate degree to apply for this program? I received my BS from Sonoma State in Wine Business Strategies. Worked DTC with Korbel for two and a half years, and spent the last year working for a wholesaler in the chains.

28/11/2017

No you do not! I only have my B.A. It sounds like you've had some great wine industry work experience!

28/11/2017
Michael B.

Thank you! Any other advice for applying or making the video? Anything you think set yourself apart?

Alicia, anything you think makes an exceptional candidate?

28/11/2017

I think the most important thing to do, however cliche it sounds, is to really be yourself. We've had ambassadors who have submitted serious videos showing off their wine knowledge and experience and ambassadors who have submitted silly videos showcasing their personality and passion! I would advise you to put forth an application that is 100%, unapologetically you!

28/11/2017
Wine Brand Ambassador - Dallas - USA, Pernod Ricard

Christine really said it best. This position requires an individual to flourish when presenting to others and attracts people to them - you are the face of the brand, and have the chance to share stories and articulate each wine with consumers, trade and distributors. In your application, be confident in your presentation, and show your personality - no one wants another dull person talking about wine. So have fun and be creative!

28/11/2017
Graduate Program Manager, Pernod Ricard Winemakers, Pernod Ricard

Hi Michael, What makes an exceptional candidate? Someone who has a sparkle and energy about them, a great communicator that shows a confidence when presenting, an eagerness to learn as much as possible and someone who is driven to create opportunities within their work. As Christine and Emily said, we would like to see who you are and your passion for wine.

28/11/2017
Michael B.

Thank you all for your time! This has been very informative.

28/11/2017
Graduate Program Manager, Pernod Ricard Winemakers, Pernod Ricard

You are welcome Michael. I hope to see your application come through. Best wishes.

Add to this thread

Pernod Ricard

Pernod Ricard is the world’s n°2 in wines and spirits with consolidated Sales of € 8,558 million in 2014/15. Created in 1975 by the merger of Ricard and Pernod, the Group has undergone sustained development, based on both organic growth and acquisitions: Seagram (2001), Allied Domecq (2005) and Vin&Sprit (2008). Pernod Ricard holds one of the most prestigious brand portfolios in the sector: Absolut Vodka, Ricard pastis, Ballantine’s, Chivas Regal, Royal Salute and The Glenlivet Scotch whiskies, Jameson Irish whiskey, Martell cognac, Havana Club rum, Beefeater gin, Kahlúa and Malibu liqueurs, Mumm and Perrier- Jouët champagnes, as well Jacob’s Creek, Brancott Estate, Campo Viejo, Graffigna and Kenwood wines. Pernod Ricard employs a workforce of approximately 18,000 people and operates through a decentralised organisation, with 6 “Brand Companies” and 80 “Market Companies” established in each key market. Pernod Ricard is strongly committed to a sustainable development policy and encourages responsible consumption. Pernod Ricard’s strategy and ambition are based on 3 key values that guide its expansion: entrepreneurial spirit, mutual trust and a strong sense of ethics. Pernod Ricard is listed on Euronext (Ticker: RI; ISIN code: FR0000120693) and is part of the CAC 40 index.

Visit website